1 June 2020

David Plumpton is Back


Standard YouTube Licence

Fiona Noonan led me back to the barre after a gap of nearly 50 years and I shall always be grateful to her for that.  But if she had not been playing one of David Plumpton's recordings that evening that first class back might well have been my last.  That class had not been easy for all sorts of reasons, but one thing that drew me back was David's music.  It drew me back a second time.   And then again. And again.  Until I began to perform some of the exercises more or less as they are supposed to be performed and I began to enjoy class for its own sake.

I doubt if I am the only person in the world with a story like.   If I am right David has probably launched more than a few principals on their careers as well as inspiring thousands of ordinary students such as me.   Although I had admired David's music for a long time I never thought that I would ever have the opportunity of meeting him.  However, that opportunity came through Terence Etheridge who had invited him to play for his audition for the cast of Aria.   That class was one of the most thrilling ever.

Last year David played for our anniversary class with Jane Tucker   The most delicious moment in that class was when Jane exclaimed just before the ronds de jambe: "Oh David, I missed you so much!" and we all burst into applause.   As I wrote in Our Anniversary Company Class  26 May 2019 Powerhouse Ballet, "from then on, the rest of the afternoon was magic." And there was even more magic the next month when David played for us in Studio 2 of The Dancehouse on the Hottest Day of the Year.

David is an extraordinarily kind man as well as an extraordinarily gifted artist.  Next Sunday is your opportunity to meet him over Zoom.  You can book your place by clicking here,

No comments:

Post a Comment